AWA 8 Burn Project

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Red Wolf
Org Profile

AWA 8 Burn Project

Post by Red Wolf » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:26 am

In the last month I have come into possession of 150 high quality CD-R discs for a VERY low cost. I had planned to burn MPEG-1 copies of my AMVs onto CDs for AWA this year to pass around. Seeing that many creators either can't make it to AWA this year or do not have the means to either burn their own CDs or post their AMVs on the Internet I thought it might be kind of fun to offer my left over CD space to other creators.

I am able to burn a single CD-R and provide a paper sleeve for it for a total of $0.08 per CD (that's a total investment of $12 for 150 CD-Rs and paper sleeves). Given the cost I have no problem merely giving away CDs so you may rest assured I won't even charge to cover my costs. It isn't like I want to be running around with lots pennies, nickels, and dimes for change after all. My only catch will be that every CD will contain my two AMVs but they aren't that bad so I don't foresee any problems.

If anyone is interested in adding their AMVs to this project please contact me via email at red_wolf@mac.com. I will also check this thread for any interested parties, opinions, etc. Right now I haven't set any limits on how many AMVs each creator can donate because I need to see what kind of responce I get. I am going to prefer MPEG-1 formated AMVs and as for getting the copies to me I can do both high speed download as well as snail mail. I'll be more than happy to work with each creator as best as I can. Given AWA is in 10 weeks the sooner things get started the more sleep I can get when I'm doing the actual burning before the con.

I had posted this idea earlier in a survey format so let me clarify some feedback that might come in. On the Mac platform there isn't a good way to encode MPEG-2s for less than $300. I do have software which would turn my 40MB MPEG-1s into a higher quality MPEG-1 file closer to 100-150MB. That may or may not be used depending on feedback. The reason I'm willing to go for the lower quality is simply that the idea of having a lot of different AMVs from different creators on a single CD just strikes me as a cool idea. Besides, after all is said and done, it'll add to my personal collection of AMVs so I am getting something out of this. I had been planning to take my laptop full of AMVs to the con for personal use and share AMVs where possible with other creators. Pre-burned CD-Rs give a lot better cross platform solution to networking with a PC laptop (and the issue wouldn't be on the Mac end, BTW).

Let me know if you're interested and we'll work out details. I'm hopeful that this project could result in some cool CDs for the AMV fans at AWA this year. Being able to see AMVs all weekend long is great but having a similar collection to take home with you is even better.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:19 pm

Wow, that's really cool of you. Just wanted to comment, since I recently acquired 200 CD-Rs for a grand total of $6, and can cover my own :lol:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Promodo
Org Profile

Interested

Post by Promodo » Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:46 pm

Ooo... I can give you my "famous" Kite - Can you feel the love tonight video... it's funny in the same way that a guy getting gored by bulls in the running shit in mexico is... you shouldn't laugh, but you do :)
I stole my pants from Napoleon, and started the capri trend.

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:14 pm

I'm up for it if y'all can encode from VHS. 'S all I have to distribute at the moment.

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:00 pm

I might be able to pull something off. I'll email ya.

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:15 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:Wow, that's really cool of you. Just wanted to comment, since I recently acquired 200 CD-Rs for a grand total of $6, and can cover my own :lol:

Fuck man, how did you manage to do that? :shock:

Promodo
Org Profile

That's nothing

Post by Promodo » Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:41 pm

Ha... I got around 400 Fuji T-120 VHS tapes for $4.28
I stole my pants from Napoleon, and started the capri trend.

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:15 am

Plenty of spaces left for anyone else wanting in on this project. I'll do everything I can to make sure everyone gets at least one video on the CD. Just shoot me an email at red_wolf@mac.com.

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:21 am

Way cool!
I ran into the same thing when I was making my CDs for Otakon and Shoujocon. I only had about 450 megs of MPEGs, so I asked all of my friends who only had one or two AMVs to include theirs. I set up different folders for each of us and now some of my friends' AMVs will get distributed (a little).

Glad someone else had the idea. That's amazingly cool. Best of luck!

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:46 pm

To everyone who's replied thus far (I've gotten quite a few replies via email, thanks guys) or who will be replying this week let me say this. I am getting your emails, I am responding to them as best I can, and I will make sure everyone gets taken care of. That being said let me also add that my laptop has become a little encoding bitch for me this week and has been running for many days now encoding my own videos to MPEG-2 format for AWA submission (which is THIS FRIDAY!). So you'll excuse me if I don't get waist deep into the compilation CD until AFTER August 2. Once I get AWA submission taken care of and the AMVs on the Mac guide up and running (it's finished, just need to do a 4th read through and then upload), I'll be giving my full AMV attention to the compilation CD until AWA.

Space is still available. However there has been a recent surge in interest so it is starting to disappear (I'll have an exact number next week). Right now we're doing a first come, first served and I am giving everyone at least one slot. Two things to note from this. One, get your request in to me ASAP. Two, even if you fear space is disappearing send in your request anyway. If I get enough over and above requests I'll gladly do a 2 CD set (although that may or may not cut down on circulation...but hey, it is still a free ride). Remember, send your requests, comments, and suggestions to me at red_wolf@mac.com. I will need an MPEG-1 of your video but that can be from a download, a CD-R, or even a VHS if you must (I have at least one coming in so I wouldn't mind getting several of them over to the computer if they all got here in a couple of weeks).

Return to “Anime Conventions”