What do you use DivX for? Be Nice Please

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:26 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote:this is the general video forum, people here aren't average viewers :P

so to sum it up: people with 1337 rigs and brains use ffdshow
babies with old computers use divx
;]
your overconfidence in us is :oops: (for lack of a better word). I have no idea of the dif btwn bicubic and bilinear... I just do whatever Vdub says is bestest... oh and I can click on an href link too ;-p.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:17 pm

don't worry young one, your time will come. Its just people with no lives like me, ermac, AD, klinky, zarxrax and jbone have nothing better to waste our time on besides what quantizer matrix to use for our xvid encodes ;P
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:20 pm

h.263

:P

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:51 pm

I wonder when they'll implement h.264 stuff, hear it's pretty bad ass.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:55 pm

According to -h it would be easier to just start a seperate project for h.264 rather than trying to implement it into xvid as it looks like there would be so many changes that you might as well start from scratch.

I think a sourceforge project is being rounded up but I can't remember for sure.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:45 pm

howabout that helix going opensource on the 29th. If it means Real codecs will eventually be able to be used in other container formats like ogg, it will be a good thing indeed :]

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:50 pm

Despite your praise, my ears don't agree with your evaluations of RealAudio.

Not that it actually matters one jot for amv creation as the point is to get something as univerally playable as possible which rules out tons of experimental formats, ogg containers included.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:10 pm

well, after 5 complete series of tests each pitting different compression formats against each other as well as some practical use I've come to a solid conclusion about Real. These things are perceptual and thus obviously I wont start an argument as that would be pointless ;P but encode something in ra8 at 64 kbps and encode the same file in vorbis, mp3, and aac and you'll see that realaudio is the only format that avoids the eccursed mettalic clink artifacting at that bitrate. Post some of your own test results, I'm interested to hear 'em

oh yeah, since most of my encoding is geared toward backup and less amvs I guess I can get off track sometimes. But hey, its up to the content distributors to make something mainstream after all isnt it? ;]

Return to “Video & Audio Help”