What do you use DivX for? Be Nice Please

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 12:31 pm

fuck numb :!: that's the missing word from hubba hubba zoot zoot!

Eek-1
Org Profile

Post by Eek-1 » Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:33 am

What about DivX5.02? Umm... Let's see:

- It's a mpeg4 type of codec (meaning it's good for Internet distribution)
- Much faster than WMV8.
- It's very popular. You don't have to worry about compatibility issue. It can be played on Windows, Mac, Linux, PocketPC, Dreamcast, XBOX, PS2, and now is coming to GameCube! (that is, if someone managed to create a universal player based on its SDK)
- It's free for viewers and personal use. But if you want to go commercial/try the pro version, you'll have to pay for the software. T_T
- I had achieved very good results encoding videos in DivX5.02, from 180x120 to 720x480, from low bitrates to very high. My conclusion is DivX5.02 produces extremely good quality for hi-res video (if done correctly, of course)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:47 am

I am liking the XviD :O

I like teh codec because there is no commercial company behind it trying to make a buck. I don't like Ogg Vorbis either. LAME MP3= teh l33t and it has more support.

~klinky

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:34 am

Xvid owns! been using it lately and i have had 0 problems. i think divx 5 and 4 sucks btw. Xvid all the way 8)

Pwolf

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:34 pm

I agree, XviD owns. Not on slow computers like mine though. Everything becomes out of synch and crap. The only things DivX 4/5 are good for are the playback filters, since if you change the XviD FourCC to something other than XVID it will playback with only DivX 4/5 installed.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:25 pm

ffdshow ownz all other decoders not only because it decodes pretty much every mpeg-4 codec ever (and soon mpeg 1 and 2 as well, for free (mpeg 2 decoders usually only come with dvd software)) but you wouldn't believe how many options there are. You can directly resize the image with any resize filter, sharpen, add subtitles.. dood, u can do everything with ffdshow. Anyway enough of this plug (i'm acting like I helped develop the thing :/) jus sayin its pretty sweet.
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:14 am

ffdshow, last time I checked, unfortunately doesn't offer the same kind of performance on slower machines as the DivX filters do.
And for the average viewer, more options are bad. DivX5's filter is nice and simple - slide a quality bar. Your average Joe isn't gonna know what the difference between Bilinear and Bicubic resizing is, and they shouldn't have to.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Oct 20, 2002 7:15 pm

this is the general video forum, people here aren't average viewers :P

so to sum it up: people with 1337 rigs and brains use ffdshow
babies with old computers use divx
;]

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:49 am

Sure peopel in this forum aren't average viewers, but newsflash - I don't encode my videos for people on this forum specifically. I do it so that as many people as possible can download my videos and play them without issue. Hence, no ffdshow.

and personally I still think Divx5 filter gives just as good quality as ffdshow.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:47 pm

I know, but I was reccomending ffdshow for the people in this forum, the above average viewers. Anyway DivX 5's filter gave me gradual audio desync on full quality, thats why the auto quality control is so great. Besides, its the options man, the options.
It is pretty helpful, for instance when encoding downloaded DivX for vcd you don't even need avisynth, you can resize and filter directly thanks to tmpg's using directshow.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”